[Insight-users] Explicit Template Instatiation

Julien Jomier julien.jomier at kitware.com
Mon Jul 24 10:10:34 EDT 2006

Hi Jordi,

Explicit instantiation is now implemented in the current ITK cvs.
The generation of the instantiation files is done using CMake and based
on WrapITK. You have an advanced option when you run CMake:
ITK_EXPLICIT_INSTANTIATION. Then you can select the types and dimensions
you'd like to explicitly instantiate.

Explicit instantiation is new feature and is backward compatible and
does not affect the current behavior of the toolkit.
However, when you turn this option on, you're current code which uses
ITK should compile faster and the size of your libraries and executables
  should decrease.

We have written some documentation on the wiki. The plan is to submit an
article on the Insight Journal.
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/index.php?title=Proposals:Explicit_Instantiation&redirect=no

Let us know if you need more information and/or if you have any issues
with this new feature,

Julien