[Insight-users] boring IJ's automatic testing

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Wed Jul 26 18:06:32 EDT 2006

Hi Luis,

Le Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:04:13 +0200, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>
a écrit:

> Hi Gaetan,
>
> We have acknowledged in multiple occasions your positive
> contributions to the Insight Journal as well as ITK, and we
> recognize that your efforts in developing and improving
> WrapITK are nothing short of remarkable.

thank you

> Giving you write access to the ITK CVS repository was a
> concrete recognition for your valuable contributions.
>
> However, your recent confrontational attitude is not the kind
> of interaction that we want to cultivate in the ITK community.
>
> We understand your frustration with the world not moving at the
> speed that you would want it to move. We would also like to see
> change happening faster, both in society and in our technical
> communities.
>
> We are very disappointed with your latest attitude towards the
> developers and maintainers of both ITK and the Insight Journal.
> Bashing on the support team is not going to make your requests
> to be answered any faster.
>
> It may not seem obvious from your point of view, but all the
> developers in ITK and IJ are also responsible for work in many
> other different projects. Delays in responding to requests are
> not due to lack of interest, but simply to the unfortunate fact
> that days only carry 24 hours.

I shoudn't have been understood here. I'm not bashing with any of the
developers nor the maintainers of the IJ. I'm even surprised you can think
that, and want to apologize to everybody who have found that in my mails:
that's really not what I want to do

I'm not frustrated about the speed the things are moving. Lots of people
are doing what they can to make things move, and I'm fine with that. What
I deplore, for some time, is the lack of communication:
- for the contributions before the insight journal
- for contributions to the insight journal (too few reviews, no discussion
about review or update contribution)
- for the label difinition, some time ago
- and today, for the insight journal testing system

You're talking about interactions, but from my point of view, as a
contributor, the interactions are quite limited

As said below and several time in my emails, I understand that people are
busy (I'm busy too) and can't do such or such things, or that they can't
understand my emails (as surely said before, I'm not always clear in
french, and that's surely worth in english). But Zack don't reply me, in a
month, that he have no time to do things, or that he can't understand what
I wrote, or something else - I even don't know if he get my mails.
Interactions ?
What is frustrating is to spend lot of time to get a result as nice as
possible, to finally get a broken result without the possibility to fix
it, or even to know if it will be fixed

> We are aware that the IJ, being an experimental system, is far
> from perfect, and that there are a lot of improvements to be
> made in order to get it to the point where it will provide
> services smoothly and seamlessly.
>
> Revolutions are not for the impatient or for the faint of heart.
> Change does not happen by simply asking for it. In order to get
> the IJ web system that you are using today, (as boring as you
> may find it now) we have been pushing this system for more than
> three years.

Please don't misunderstood me, I'm not impatient, and I'm aware that
things are taking time.

The insight journal automatic testing system is boring for only one
reason: it is again broken.

To be clear, I think that the insight journal is a great idea (that's why
I'm using it), and I can leave with its bugs without problem if somebody
can fix broken stuff. Also, I'm not requesting for things to be fixed
immediatly. Again, telling me that it can't be done know is just ok
It works very well with Julien. It's more difficult with Zack

Regards,

Gaetan

--
Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
http://www.opera.com/mail/