[Insight-users] timestep in level sets

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Jul 29 17:42:21 EDT 2006

Hi Sovira,

Please take a look at the code of the FiniteDifferenceImageFilter:

        Insight/Code/Common/itkFiniteDifferenceImageFilter.txx

Note that the LevelSet filters in ITK have the following (partial)
hierarchy:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SegmentationLevelSetImageFilter.html

They all derive from the "SegmentationLevelSetImageFilter" class,
that in turns has these superclasses:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter.html

and the

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1FiniteDifferenceImageFilter.html

The time steps are re-computed at every iteration based on the width of
the narrow band used around the zero-set.  The method that computes the
time-step in every thread is "CalculateChange()", and the method that
chooses the final step for the iteration by taking all the time-steps
computed by all the threads is "ResolveTimeStep()".  The first method is
overloaded in classes derived from the FiniteDifferenceImageFilter,
while the second method is implemented in the file
itkFiniteDifferenceImageFilter.txx in lines 168 - 199.