[Insight-users] MRI geometric distorsion

Vincent Magnotta vincent-magnotta at uiowa.edu
Thu Jun 1 13:18:23 EDT 2006

Teo,

You will need to model the geometric distortion as a transform in ITK.
This distortion is due to the non-linearity of the gradient system. On
commercial systems this often modeled and corrected (at least in 2D). If
you can parametrize or determine the deformation field over the entire
FOV of your scanner, you could use the position information of the image
to apply a this deformation to the acquired data. This is assuming that
the you are not running an EPI sequence where distortions are also due
susceptibility artifacts. One straight foward and simple (probably not
optimal) way to model this is to place a grid with a known spacing into
the scanner. You could then use a thin plate spline transform to correct
for the distortion.

Anders Dale was working on a tool for geometric correction as part of
the MBIRN project. I do not know where this project stands.

Vince

Popa Teo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did anybody encounter geometric distorsion in MRI images,especially
> high-tesla(7) fields.I found that the geometric distorsion is quite
> obvious when I tried to measure the distance of 3 colinear fiducials
> with known distance on a in-plane slice.
>
> Does itk have methods for correcting this distorsion (especialy on 7T
> magnets for example ) or this should be done by manufacturer of MRI
> device?
>
> Teo
>
> p.s.I know itk has some methods for correcting some characteristics of
> MRI images(like  MRI bias field correction
> itk::MIBiasFieldCorrectionFilter).

Assistant Professor
Department of Radiology
0453-D JCP