[Insight-users] Adaptive Meshing for FEM - Registration

Markus Weigert m.weigert at fz-juelich.de
Mon Jun 12 11:32:41 EDT 2006

Hi all,

in the insight book ("Insight into Images") from Terry S. Yoo,
there is a nice example of adaptive lung meshing (page 331).
My question is, how can such a meshing be obtained with ITK in 3D?
I suppose, one can use the ITK - Mesh framework for this task,
but the ITK Mesh would need to be casted to a FEM - Mesh.
Can this casting be done in a straight forward way, or is it more complicated?

Also, this would be interesting because one could start to segment an image
and mesh individual surfaces to model each tissue with different elasticity.
Any idears on this???

Regards,
Markus