[Insight-users] Re: 2D vesselness code submission

Moti Freiman freiman at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Jun 26 04:29:36 EDT 2006

Hi,

I took a look at your code, and i have a design remark whihc reltaed
also to the original itk vesselness filter:

You follow the design of the itk vesselness filter (proposed by sato),
which did not incorporate the multi-scale strategy into the filter, and
leave it to the user. I Prefer another strategy, which incorporate the
multi-scale strategy to the filter itself. For instance: add the
functions: setSigma, setNumberOfScales. setStartScale.

Another practical issue, that i found when i tried to use that filter:

I implemented the frangi 3D filter, and he worked well for areas with
vessels and a uniform background. However, when i tried to apply this
filter onto liver images (where the background is the liver and the air
- therefore there are gradients in the background also) I encounter a
noisy result, in the border of the liver and the air. The vessels result
by itself was good.

Message: 2