[Insight-users] Storing images on a database as BLOB

Julien Jomier julien.jomier at kitware.com
Thu Jun 29 11:37:15 EDT 2006

Hi Shlomo,

MySQL and pgSQL both support BLOBs and it works fairly well. I was using
them to store large datasets (not images though).

When you talk about writing a "module", do you mean a C++ class (like
the ImageIO classes) that would automatically read/write an ITK image
from/to the database? If this is the case, I'll be interested in this
class. Let me know if you need help.

I would assume that Oracle would deal better with very large BLOBs than
MySQL/pgSQL but I'd be interested to see some statistical comparisons.

Julien