[Insight-users] Optimizer spikes

Steven Boyd skboyd at ucalgary.ca
Thu May 11 11:34:25 EDT 2006

Hello,

When observing the progress of rigid registration using the
QuaternionRigidTransformGradientDescentOptimizer via the metric value
(i.e., MattesMutualInformation) spikes occur, and sometimes last for 2-3
iterations.

Can somebody explain why there are spikes in the metric?  I would it's
related to a change in step size of the optimizer, but I'm not sure why
this would result in the spikes.

Regards,

Steve

--
Steven Boyd

PhD, PEng, Assistant Professor
Scholar, Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research
Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Faculty of Kinesiology (Joint)
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive, N.W.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2N 1N4