[Insight-users] vector field regularization and fiber tra cking

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri May 12 09:53:15 EDT 2006

Hi Hai,

You can regularize the eigenvectors by using the
VectorGradientAnisotropicDiffusion filter.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VectorGradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.html

Note that this only makes sense if you regularize ONLY the principal
eigen vector.  If you attempt to regularize each eigen vector field
independently, they will no longer satisfy their orthogonality
constraints.

There are several groups who have done fiber tracking using ITK and VTK:

They include groups at UNC Chapel-Hill, the University of Iowa
and the BWH at Harvard.  You will find information about these
efforts in the Wiki page of the NAMIC alliance:

    http://wiki.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Software modules for computing fiber tracking are available as
part of the  open source application "Slicer" that you can
download from :

                www.slicer.org