[Insight-users] ICP progress monitoring still not working(?)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri May 12 08:58:54 EDT 2006

Hi Patrick,

You are right, the ITK adapters to MutlipleValued VNL optimizers
were not yet reporting iteration events during the optimization.

We just committed a fix for this lack of support. Mainly copying it
from the Single Valued optimizers, that already have it implemented.

You may have to update you CVS checkout of ITK in order to get access
to this functionality.

About your number of iteration settings:

Using 10 iterations for ICP is extremely optimistic   :-)
It is not surprising that the optimizer exceeds that small number
of iterations and returns to you telling you that the optimizer
stops because it has performed already too many iterations for
the limit that you set.

Please be more generous with the number of iterations, you may
want to consider something in the range from 100 to 500.

The discrepancy between the number of iterations set at the ITK
level and the ones reported by VNL are due to the which netlib
library does VNL invokes for solving the optimization. In one
case (lmder) it is considered that the number of function evaluations
is the one that corresponds to the user setting for number of
iterations.

Note that the message is coming from the file:

     Insight/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/algo/
                  vnl_levenberg_marquardt.cxx

You may want to post this question to the vnl-users mailing list.

Please let us know if you have further questions,