[Insight-users] ImageToSpatialObjectFilter

SCHMID, Jerome jeromeschmid at surgery.cuhk.edu.hk
Mon May 22 00:39:26 EDT 2006

Hi,

I want to write a filter that has as input an image and as output a
spatial object. From my search, it appears that such a kind of filter
doesn't exist. I've tried to written then one by copying/modifying the
ImageToMeshFilter family. I've have then :

- an itkSpatialObjectSource class

- an itkImageToSpatialObject class

The mesh family just call Update on the output which is a mesh, and
because it is derived from a pointset object the classical triggering of
region propagation region is done and the GenerateData() function is
called.

The pb in case of SpatialObject is that Update() simply notify a
modification by calling this->Modified(), so the GenerateData() is never
called in my case. I've overwritten the Update() method in my
itkImageToSpatialObject class to force the GenerateData() call but I am
sure that:

- my filter pipeline is not maintained correctly

- I may have memory leaks and memory release crash

Note that currently I do not care about the requested region stuff, as I
work in the whole image. Any reason why such a family of filter is
implemented, and there is a easy way to perfom it?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Jerome Schmid