[Insight-users] Speed of Mutual Information calculation

Markus Weigert m.weigert at fz-juelich.de
Wed May 24 11:02:54 EDT 2006

Hi Luis,

regarding my last email:

<<<<
Hi Luis,

thanks a lot for your help.
I uploaded a CT - dataset (lungs, Analyze - format) and a MR - dataset.
The CT is the target, the MR is the moving image.

When I try to do automatic rigid registration (translation,
mutual information (0.4 sigma both, 100000 spatial samples,
moving/fixed Image Gaussfilter variance 0.16)
GradientDescent optimizer (200 iters, 200 leraning rate),
it seems to be veeeery slow or doesn't start at all.

With Mattes MI (80 bins, 100000 samples), same transformation and optimizer,
it starts and is reasonably fast.

But the bigger problem is deformable registration afterwards.
Here, I don't get a result by using BSpline (with LBFGSB and MattesMI)
or FEM.

I'm very interested in the FEM - registration filter, but find it very hard
to use.

Now, I get better results with BSpline.
I am also interested in getting reasonable results with the FEM -
registration
filter. Can you perhaps help to find a parameter - setting for this filter,
because I
tried for long but can't manage to get a good result with it.
It would be very helpful, because I may learn new things about setting these
parameters
and the filter at all, if somebody shows me a good setting / composition for
this
specific problem and I may transfer it to other registration tasks.
Till now, I could not solve any problem with FEM - registration.

Thanks again,
Markus