[Insight-users] What kind of C++ knowledge I need to know in order to use ITK?

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Wed Oct 11 17:44:47 EDT 2006

On 10/11/06, Gaëtan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Le Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:04:11 +0200, daniel mark <danielmarkhot at gmail.com>
> a écrit:
>
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I would like to start to learn ITK. However, I found the lots of C++
> > techniques used by ITK is strange to me.
> >
> > For example:
> > itk::Functor::Acos< TInput, TOutput >
> >

> This is generic programming.
> Try to search "template c++ tutorial" on google, and you will find lots of
> very good introductions to generic programming

IMHO you do not need this kind of knowledge to start using ITK. As Gaëtan
mentionned you can start using ITK using one of it's wrapped langage, but if
you use correctly typedef (C programming) your c++ code should look almost
just like a python script. I would suggest you start reading a couple of
HelloWorld examples, the ITK Software Guide before starting with generic
programming.

2 cents
Mathieu