[Insight-users] help on registering two label volume (mask volumes)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Oct 28 12:14:13 EDT 2006

Hi Alex,

0) There is no such thing as "the best filter" for registration.

    The concept of "BEST" method is an intellectual abomination
    disseminated by the decadence of the publishing system in our
    community. The word "BEST" is what unscrupulous authors like
    to write in the "Abstract" and "Conclusion" sections of their
    paper in order to trick ignorant reviewers and naive readers.

    Whoever claims to have a "BEST" method for doing something,
    is *confused* or *trying to confuse you*.

1) You are right, ITK will take pixel spacing, and image origin
    into account when doing registration.

2) Since you are registering labelelled images you probably want
    to try the Cardinality Match image metric:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MatchCardinalityImageToImageMetric.html

3) If you want to do elastic registration (I assume that by "elasic"
    you mean

     "a deformation with more degrees of freedom than an affine"

    you may want to try the BSplinesDeformableTransform

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BSplineDeformableTransform.html

    that is described in detail in the ITK Software Guide

           http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

4) For Rigid registration you may want to try
    the VersorRigid3DTransform:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VersorRigid3DTransform.html

5) If you want to do rigid plus scalilng then you may want to try
    the Similarity Transform.
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Similarity3DTransform.html

                     BUT

                   PLEASE

Before you start writing any code, read the Image Registration
chapter from the ITK Software Guide.  From the description of
your problem, it is clear that you will benefit from spending
some quality time getting familiar with the concepts used in
the image registration framework implemented in ITK.