[Insight-users] RGB Images and ConnectedThresholdImageFilter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Oct 28 12:34:13 EDT 2006

Hi Barbara,

You may want to try the specialized version of RegionGrowing filters
for Vector images.

      This is the "VectorConfidenceConnectedImageFilter"

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VectorConfidenceConnectedImageFilter.html

It uses a Mahalanobis distance in the space of the pixel components.

  Iin your case, the RGB space. Notice that RGB is not really a vector
  space, because addition and subtraction are not well defined, so
  mathematically speaking this is a bit of a strech. You can probably
  justify it the use of the filter in the statistical sense, where
  the Mahalanobis distance is measuring the dispersion of your data
  in the RGB space.

We used this filter for generating the segmentations of the RGB
cryogenic datasets from the Visible Woman that are shown in the
cover of the ITK Software Guide.

For more details in how the cover was created, you may want to look
at the InsightDocuments cvs repository, and the subdirectory

            InsightDocumenta/SoftwareGuide/cover