[Insight-users] Please Help ... How to Register two volumes using only --- xyz Translation, Rotation about z-axis only, and xyz anisotropic Scaling ???

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Oct 28 12:41:52 EDT 2006

Hi Deepak,

Here are three options that you may want to consider:

1) Write your own transform

    You could do this by creating a variant of the SimilarityTransform

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Similarity3DTransform.html

2) Use the SimilarityTransform and

    trick the optimizer by setting the array of parameters scaling in
    such a way that rotations around X and Y will be hardly done.

    This is probably the simplest method. It doesn't require you to
    write any code. You just need to set the scalings that correspond
    to rotationX and rotationY to be extreme values.

    For details on the meaning of the parameters scaling on the
    Image Registration framework, please read the Image Registration
    chapter of the ITK Software Guide

          http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

3) Use a sequence of three transform.

     3.1) First, perform a registration using
          only the TranslationTransform

     3.2) With the result perform a registration
          using only the rotation transform (but still using
          the parameter-scalin for penalizing rotations on
          X and Y.

     3.3) Finish with a ScaleTransform

    You will find descriptions of each one of these transform
    in the Image Registration chapter of the ITK Software Guide.