[Insight-users] Ruby wrapper for ITK?

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 31 22:45:12 EST 2006

Gaetan,

Thanks for your answer. I understand that there are other wrapped languages
for ITK, however, ruby is another story -- despite being painfully slow, its
popularity is amazingly increasing (see this
http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index). It seems ruby is going to
overtake python by the end of this year and, in long term, it could be as
popular as java.

The problem with binding a new language in ITK and VTK is that they are not
designed for independent language binding, ie, adding a wrapper as an
add-on. It is a shame having this condition while the developments is based
on the highly-configurable cmake system. Perhaps ITK and VTK should have
been designed in a way that people could contribute their wrapping add-ons
simply as a new independent directory rather than editing countless cmake
files in many directories. In this way, you have to ship the wrapper either
as a patch or as together with the full source codes, none of them are
attractive.

Unfortunately, it seems that the official developers do not mind this
problem as the recent versions still drag the old mixed wrapping structure.

I will let you know when some spare time is available to kill it on yet
another wrapper.