[Insight-users] Ruby wrapper for ITK?

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Oct 31 23:20:48 EST 2006

Le Wed, 01 Nov 2006 04:45:12 +0100, Ali - <saveez at hotmail.com> a écrit:

> Gaetan,
>
> Thanks for your answer. I understand that there are other wrapped
> languages for ITK, however, ruby is another story -- despite being
> painfully slow, its popularity is amazingly increasing (see this
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index). It seems ruby is going to
> overtake python by the end of this year and, in long term, it could be
> as popular as java.

That's surely a language I'd like to see in ITK's supported languages,
even if my preference still goes to python :-)

> The problem with binding a new language in ITK and VTK is that they are
> not designed for independent language binding, ie, adding a wrapper as
> an add-on. It is a shame having this condition while the developments is
> based on the highly-configurable cmake system. Perhaps ITK and VTK
> should have been designed in a way that people could contribute their
> wrapping add-ons simply as a new independent directory rather than
> editing countless cmake files in many directories. In this way, you have
> to ship the wrapper either as a patch or as together with the full
> source codes, none of them are attractive.

I have began to do that some months ago, but have stupidly lost all my
changes while cleaning my hard drive.
Anyway, ITK is a lot more difficult to wrap than VTK for example. We have
made it *easily* extensible for new classes. Perhaps it will be easily
extensible for new languages in the future, but the need is clearly less
important.
That being said, the number of cmake files to edit to add a new languages
should be quite small: not much than 4, and I hope to reduce it soon, when
moving to a full swig instead of cableswig.

> Unfortunately, it seems that the official developers do not mind this

That's something I wanted to do, but the time needed to do that seem more
important than the interest for that feature, especially when considering
re-doing some work (stupidely) lost.
Now, if several developers want to wrap ITK for several new languages,
that's something which can be reconsidered.

> problem as the recent versions still drag the old mixed wrapping
> structure.

Can you detail what you call the "old mixed structure" ?

Gaetan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann