[Insight-users] Binary Image segmentation

Dan Homerick danhomerick at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:14:05 EDT 2007

Hi Gopal,

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by segmenting a binary image.
"Segmentation" is typically reducing a grayscale or color image so that only
a few values are used, done in such a way that each color in the resulting
image has some semantic meaning. If you're starting with a binary image,
there's not much segmentation that can be done.

It sounds like what you really want is to cluster (unconnected) components
of your binary image into logical objects. By what criteria do you want to
cluster them (spatial proximity, similarity of size, shape, other)? I don't
think there will be a simple filter to accomplish that, but if you can
provide more details of what you intend to do, the mailing-list may be able
to provide some guidance.

Cheers,
 - Dan