[Insight-users] Building release

Dan Homerick danhomerick at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 13:32:14 EDT 2007

Hi Insight-users,

My project is finally to the point where I want to build a release version
that can run on a computer other than the one it was developed on. I'm
developing on a 32-bit x86 Linux distribution (Ubuntu) and my target is
a 64-bit x86 Linux. I'm compiling with g++. I have a set of basic
questions/assumptions that I think know the answers to, but I'd like to make
sure. Let me know if any of the following seem wrong to you -- let me know
if everything looks pretty much accurate, too. =)

1. If ITK is compiled using static libraries, I can build a single
executable for my project that does not require any ITK Libraries to be
present on the target machine.

2. If ITK is compiled using shared libraries, then ITK must be built on the
target machine to provide the appropriate libraries.

3. Compiling ITK with shared libraries is required if you are using Java or
Python wrappings.

4. Simply copying shared libraries built on one machine to another machine
is probably a pretty bad idea.

5. A 32-bit executable should run fine on a 64-bit OS, although won't take
advantage of the extra registers and larger memory address space offered.

6. Compiling on a Intel x86 processor for a AMD x86 processor doesn't
require any special flags, and the executable should "just work" on both
platforms (other issues aside).

Cheers,
 - Dan