[Insight-users] Re: Discrete vs. RecursiveGaussianImageFilter?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Aug 4 18:37:21 EDT 2007

Hi Eve,

The DiscreteGaussian filter will compute the kernel size
that is appropriate for a given Sigma value of the Gaussian.

What you provide is only an upper limit to that Kernel size,
so that, if the kernel size computed by the filter is too
large, then it will get truncated.

Enjoy the greatness of Open Source !!

If you look at the implementation of the itkDiscreteGaussian.txx
file in the Insight/Code/BasicFilter, you will see that it uses
the itkGaussianOperator, whose files are located in Code/Common.

The computation of the kernel size, given a Variance, is made
in the method "GenerateCoefficients()" in lines 29-73 of the file
Insight/Code/Common/itkGaussianOperator.txx.

The size of the kernel depends on both the value of the Variance,
*and* the requirement that you set on the approximation error.
("MaximumError"), the more stringent the error requirement, the
more coefficients will be needed to fit the Gaussian to that
degree of precision, and therefore, the larger the Kernel will
be.

Note that in line 52-56, if the copmuted kernel size is larger
than the limit that you set (MaximumKernelWidth) then you will
receive a warning message.