[Insight-users] Need Help !!! Approximation of a 3D curve with Splines

Deepak Roy cdeepakroy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:38:32 EDT 2007

Hi Luis,

Thanx a lot for the reply ..... i really appreciate it.

You wrote:

If you set a linear sequence of 3D points as the Source landmarks,
(eg. a sequence of points regularly spaced along the X axis).
and the 3D points that you arre trying to approximate, as the
TargetLandmarks, then you will be able to generate the approximating
spline by calling Transform() with points that are in the input
space of the X axis.

That is, by using a sequence of input point with components:

                   p[ S, 0, 0 ]

you will generate transformed points along your curve, and they
will be parameterized by "S".

I dont quite understand what you mean by this. All i have is a set of raw 3D
points and i dont want to assume anything about the order of the points ( if
that is what you meant by a linear sequence of 3D points ). I dont see a way
to parameterize them ( for example i am afraid the data cannot be
parameterized by arc length as the points are not properly ordered ).
It would help me understand your idea better, if you could point me to some
examples --- articles/code/images.