[Insight-users] Re: Programing Environment - C++

Matt Kelsey mkelsey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 12:29:37 EDT 2007

Hi Brian,
I have had good luck debugging with ddd and gdb in Linux.  This is
also available in Windows via a cygwin installation.  In case you are
not familiar, gdb is a command line debugger and ddd is a nice GUI
interface for it (and other debuggers I think.)  In order to use ddd,
you will need to compile your code and itk with CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE set
as Debug when configuring your project in ccmake.  Be sure to rebuild
both itk and your project.  When you have done so and have a binary
built, just issue the command "ddd YourBinaryname".  This normally
works without trouble.  You may have to tell gdb where to find your
source, but normally the symbols in the binary will take care of this.
This doesn't give you a complete IDE, but ddd/gdb serves as a pretty
nice debugger for Linux.  I have also tried Slickedit for
Windows/Linux integrated with gdb, although it is not open source and
also not free.
Maybe someone else has a more complete solution to try?

Best of luck,
Matt