[Insight-users] Binary image out of simple mesh

Michael Baltaxe mbaltaxe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:56:17 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

I want to transform an itk::SimplexMesh to a binary image, which tells me
which voxels are inside and which are outside the mesh. I found an example
regarding to this in the itkSoftwareGuide, which points to
Examples/SpatialObjects/MeshSpatialObject.cxx. The problem is that the
execution of the example fails when it gets to:

myMeshSpatialObject->IsInside(myPhysicalPoint)

If I remove this line, then the execution fails in:

imageFilter->Update();           // Use the SpatialObjectToImageFilter to
create the binary image

I am using ITK 3.2.0, Visual Studio 8 2005 x64, and Windows Vista x64
(compilation is in 64 bits and debug mode, although release mode results in
the same).

In any case I tried to use the SpatialObjectToImageFilter to create the
binary image, using a SphereMeshSource in my code as follows:

m_SphereMeshSource->SetCenter(m_SeedPoint);
m_SphereMeshSource->SetScale(sphereRadius);

m_TriangleMeshToSimplexFilter->SetInput(m_SphereSource->GetOutput());
m_TriangleMeshToSimplexFilter->Update();
m_SimplexMesh = m_TriangleMeshToSimplexFilter->GetOutput();
m_SimplexMesh->DisconnectPipeline();

m_SpatialInfo = MeshSpatialObjectType::New();
m_SpatialInfo->SetMesh( m_SimplexMesh );

typedef itk::SpatialObjectToImageFilter< MeshSpatialObjectType, VolumeType >
SpatialObjectToImageFilterType;
SpatialObjectToImageFilterType::Pointer imageFilter =
SpatialObjectToImageFilterType::New();

imageFilter->SetInput( m_SpatialInfo );
imageFilter->Update();
itk::ImageFileWriter<VolumeType>::Pointer writer =
itk::ImageFileWriter<VolumeType>::New();
writer->SetFileName("foo.mhd");
writer->SetInput(imageFilter->GetOutput());
writer->Update();

But I get an image filled with 0's (ie. no voxel is inside the mesh). I know
this is not the case, because I visually check that the mesh exists and have
a size.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help as always,

Michael.