[Insight-users] Need advice on choosing a GUI framework

Pierre Fillard Pierre.Fillard at inria.fr
Mon Aug 27 14:03:36 EDT 2007

Hi,

We faced the same concerns at some point and chose to switch to
wxWidgets. The main reason is because it has the native look&feel on any
system (or at least successfully tested on win32, linux and MacOSX),
which is not the case of FLTK (as far as I know). It has a nice VTK
interface (http://wxvtk.sourceforge.net) that we integrated into our own
softwares. If you're looking to some medical image processing widgets
using wxWidgets, you can look at our set of extension classes to VTK
that includes lots of wx-based widgets for various purposes, like DICOM
importation, image visualization, etc:

https://gforge.inria.fr/projects/vtkinria3d/

There is also a submission describing the library in the insight-journal:
http://insight-journal.org/dspace/handle/1926/559

Some other nice GUI framework includes also KWWidgets from kitware. It
is just a matter of taste actually (although KWWidgets is using tcl/tk
and is scriptable, it can be a plus).

I am not sure about the future of wxWidgets for medical applications.
However, it seems to me as the closest cross-platform GUI library to Qt
with a BSD-like license.

Pierre Fillard,
INRIA - Asclepios, France.