[Insight-users] itkConfidenceConnectedImageFilter / Patented (part of the FuzzyConnectednessFilter) or not ?

Flo snrf at no-log.org
Mon Aug 27 16:26:20 EDT 2007

Dear all,

As part of my PhD I'm writting a software and partially using ITK/VTK
functions. Although Copyright and Law infringement are not my
specialties, I must be careful when writing an open software for the
university I'm in (Sherbrooke, Canada) so that I can tell my
Supervisor he can do what he wants with the code.

Thus, Does itkConfidenceConnectedImageFilter fall under any Patent,
especially that of Punam SAHA and UDUPA in which he detailled the
FuzzyConnectedFilter: Relative Fuzzy Connectedness and Object
Definition: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications in Image
Segmentation”, Nov. 2002. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and
Machine Intelligence. vol. 24, No. 11. p. 1485-1500.

To me, itkConfidenceConnectedImageFilter derives from the concept of
Fuzzy Connectedness, as there is only one step from confidence to
fuzzy ... namely the Membership Function and the determination of the
"shortest weighted path" amongst every element to the seed point. Is
it this Path Search that actually separate the Patent from any other
confidence Filter ?

regards,

Flo.