[Insight-users] Negative values inside a shape using SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilter

Blue Moon bluemoon608 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:00:01 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am new to ITK and I am trying to use SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilter
to compute the distance map around a shape. My problem with this filter is
I always get positive values inside the shape. An example is given below:

For an input shape
o o o o o o o o
o o o x x o o o
o o x o o x o o
o o x o o x o o
o o o x x o o o
o o o o o o o o

I am expecting something like:
3 2 1 1 1 1 2 3
2 1 1 0 0 1 1 2
2 1 0-1-1 0 1 2
2 1 0-1-1 0 1 2
2 1 1 0 0 1 1 2
3 2 1 1 1 1 2 3

but I get +1 instead of -1 for the internal pixels. When I set the internal
'o' to 'x' in the input image, I get '0' for these positions.
Is this what the filter is designed to produce, or I've done something
wrong?
Any suggestions on how to use this filter will be much appreciated. Thanks
in advance.

BM