[Insight-users] Can BinaryDilateImageFilter be used for 3D images?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jan 15 16:52:42 EST 2007

Hi Shahab,

Please read the ITK Software Guide

   http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In particular section 6.6.6 "Mathematical Morphology"
in pdf-page 203-209.

If you change the Dimension of this example from 2 to 3,
then the line:

StructuringElementType structuringElement;
structuringElement.SetRadius( 1 ); // 3x3 structuring element

at the bottom of pdf-page 205 will now initialize
an Structuring element of size: 3 x 3 x 3.

Note that, as Gaetan pointed out, the filter itself does
not provide any structuring element by default. It is up
to you to properly initialize one structuring element.

The source code of the corresponding example can be
found in

     Insight/Examples/Filtering/
        MathematicalMorphologyBinaryFilters.cxx

This filter is N-Dimensional, so you can instantiate it
for any dimension: 2D, 3D, 4D,....