[Insight-users] stl file format

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jan 17 16:49:55 EST 2007

Hi Tony

If you have a Mesh (the STL file) that you want to register to
an image (the RAW file) then you may want to take a look at the
PointSetToImage registration classes:

Insight/Code/Algorithms:

itkMeanReciprocalSquareDifferencePointSetToImageMetric.h*
itkMeanReciprocalSquareDifferencePointSetToImageMetric.txx*
itkMeanSquaresPointSetToImageMetric.h
itkMeanSquaresPointSetToImageMetric.txx
itkNormalizedCorrelationPointSetToImageMetric.h
itkNormalizedCorrelationPointSetToImageMetric.txx
itkPointSetToImageMetric.h*
itkPointSetToImageMetric.txx*
itkPointSetToImageRegistrationMethod.h
itkPointSetToImageRegistrationMethod.txx

You will find tests in

Insight/Testing/Code/Algorithms:

itkMeanReciprocalSquareDifferencePointSetToImageMetricTest.cxx
itkMeanSquaresPointSetToImageMetricTest.cxx*
itkNormalizedCorrelationPointSetToImageMetricTest.cxx*
itkPointSetToImageRegistrationTest_1.cxx*

Note that you still have to convert your STL file into an
itkPointSet. This can be done by reading it with VTK and
then converting it as shown in the examples in

     InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk