[Insight-users] Hessian Matrix

Chris McIntosh cmcintos.sfu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 02:49:24 EST 2007

Hello,

To my knowledge the itk::Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter< TPixel >
class will compute the Hessian, which can then be input to the
Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter in the ./Code/Basic filters.

It appears from its header file that it defaultly sets the output image type
to: "Image< SymmetricSecondRankTensor< ITK_TYPENAME
<itkWin32Header_8h.html#a0> NumericTraits< ITK_TYPENAME
TInputImage::PixelType>::RealType,
::itk::GetImageDimension<TInputImage>::ImageDimension >,
::itk::GetImageDimension<TInputImage>::ImageDimension >"

which is what's needed for the Hessian3DToVesselenssMeasureImageFilter

http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/itkHessianRecursiveGaussianImageFilter_8h-source.html
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter.html

So in theory you need only do something *like* this: (note I have not
compiled or tested this)

typedef itk::HessianRecursiveGaussianImageFilter< TInputImage > hrgType;
typedef itk::Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter< TypeOutputPixel>
hvmType;

hrgType::Pointer hessian = hrgType::New();
hessian->SetInput(reader->GetOutput()); //Pipe the reader into the
hessian filter
hessian->SetSigma(5.0);// Will find vessels of radius 5

hvmType::Poiner vesselFilter = hvmType::New();
vesselFilter->SetInput(hessian->GetOutput()); //Set the hessian as the
input to the vessel filter
vesselFilter->SetAlpha1(0.5);//
vesselFilter->SetAlpha2(2.0);//
http://splweb.bwh.harvard.edu:8000/pages/papers/yoshi/node3.html#SECTION00021000000000000000

writer->SetInput(vesselFilter->GetOutput());
writer->Update();

For more details check the included ITK example in:
InsightToolkit-2.6.0-src/Examples/Filtering/VesselnessMeasureImageFilter.cxx

HTH,

Chris