[Insight-users] Origin of Analyze Format data

Hans Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Sun Jan 28 21:45:01 EST 2007

Tanya,

If I remember correctly from conversations 5 years ago, the originator field
was a place for the investigator name when they were collecting data from
the DSR at the mayo clinic.

The ITK implementation follows the definition provided by the original
Analyze developers at the Mayo Clinic.  There are also many other
corruptions of this 348 byte header file for different meanings
(SPM/FSL/Mayo/MRIcro/ and many other lesser known variations).  The lack of
common consensus of what these 348 bytes definitively mean was a major
driving force for implementing the new NIFTI file format.

If at all possible, I would avoid the Analyze format in favor of formats
that have less community divergence in interpretation.

Regards,
Hans