[Insight-users] about reorientation of DTI data

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Mon Jan 29 12:10:24 EST 2007

Hello Hai!

There is no such functionality in ITK (at least the last time I
checked). In general, the re-orientation problem is related to tensor
interpolation, because it typically arises when you try to reformat a
tensor field according to some coordinate transformation (e.g., between
different subjects).

Here are some publications that suggest methods for reorientation:

D. Xu, S. Mori, D. Shen, P. C. van Zijl, and C. Davatzikos, “Spatial
normalization of diffusion tensor fields,” /Magnetic Resonance in
Medicine/, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 175-182, 2003.

D. K. Jones, L. D. Griffin, D. C. Alexander, M. Catani, M. A. Horsfield,
R. Howard, and S. C. R. Williams, “Spatial normalization and averaging
of diffusion tensor MRI data sets,” /NeuroImage/, vol. 17, no. 2, pp.
592-617, 2002.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement one of these in ITK, because you
have the essential data structures (tensors) and numerical tools
(eigensystem computation) already available.

Best,
Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"