[Insight-users] The Insight Journal-New Submission

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Mon Jul 16 11:31:34 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 10:57:36AM -0400, Insight Journal wrote:

> Abstract:
> This document describes work-in-progress for refactoring ITK’s
> registration methods to exploit the parallel, computation power of
> multi-processor, shared-memory systems.  Refactoring includes making
> the methods multi-threaded as well as optimizing the algorithms.
> API backward compatibility is being maintained.  Helper classes that
> solve common registration tasks are also being developed.

Very cool.  I'm looking forward to the complete article.

One line in the text caught my eye:

    Regarding multi-threading, while ITK's execution pipeline for
    filters was designed to support multi-threading, ITK's
    registration framework operates independently of the filter
    pipeline and is not multi-threaded.

In what sense is the registration framework "independent" of the
filter pipeline?  I had assumed that the registration was implemented
using standard ITK filters and the registration driver was simply
calling Update() on the tail.  That would use the standard pipeline
framework as long as the individual filters are multi-threaded,
wouldn't it?  Is my assumption wrong?

Thanks,
-Steve