[Insight-users] direction cosines question

Luca Pamparana luca.pamparana at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 07:55:33 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to medical imaging and trying to learn some vector
mathematics behind it. I have a question about the "Image Orientation
Patient" tag. It says this tag gives the direction cosines for the rows and
colums for the 3 axes.

Now my question is, rows and colums direction cosines wrt to which plane??

Also, each slice has this tag and a slice is just a 2D image. So, how come
we get 3 pairs of direction cosine values?

I am sorry if these questions are very stupid. I would be really grateful if
someone can clarify these doubts for me...

Thanks a lot,

Luca