[Insight-users] confusion about the coordinate system for the Image Orientation Patient tag in DICOM

Luca Pamparana luca.pamparana at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 09:48:16 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Just been trying to use the Image Orientation Patient tag. Most of the
emails that I have read in the forums say that the 'x' is increasing to the
right side of the patient.

However, I thought that the patient coordinate system was that x was
increasing to the left side of the patient.

Also, I looked at some code from Dr. Clunie and he does the following to
determine the patient orientation:

String orientationX = x < 0 ? "R" : "L";

I interpret this as that x is notmally set to increase to the left of
the patient. This is really confusing!

I would be really grateful if someone can clarify this for me.

Cheers,

Luca