[Insight-users] Upsample bspline grid in deformableregistration6

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Tue Mar 6 19:21:58 EST 2007

Hi there:

I am not an expert in ITK's implementation of the B-spline
transformation model, so I may be completely redundant here. And I may
be missing the point completely. Anyway, here are my thoughts:

The B-spline grid should be upsampled (let's say: refined) using
appropriate relationships that guarantee identical transformations
before and after refinement.

For third-order 2D transformations, the explicit formulas are given in

S. Lee, G. Wolberg, and S. Y. Shin, “Scattered data interpolation with
multilevel B-splines,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer
Graphics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 228-244, 1997.

Their 2D expressions, however, are simple to generalize using the tensor
product of 1D refinement formulas. These can, for example, be found
(apologies for self citation) in

T. Rohlfing, C. R. Maurer, Jr., W. G. O'Dell, and J. Zhong, “Modeling
liver motion and deformation during the respiratory cycle using
intensity-based free-form registration of gated MR images,” in /Medical
Imaging: Visualization, Display, and Image-Guided Procedures/, S. K.
Mun, Ed., 2001, vol. 4319 of /Proceedings of the SPIE/, pp. 337-348.

Again, this is for third-order splines. For different orders I am sure
there is a paper out there somewhere that generalizes things further.
Anyway, the correct upsampling depends on the spline order, which should
therefore be considered in the upsampling process.

Not sure if that happens in the proposed procedure of getting the
parameter image, upsampling that and then transforming back into a
spline transformation.

Best,
Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"