[Insight-users] Porting from itk 2.4 to itk 3.0

Massimo Esposito mass.esposito at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:10:56 EST 2007

 Hi,
i have some problems to port my code form itk 2.4 to itk 3.0 or
higher. My code simply reads a dicom series by using the class
itkGDCMImageIO. It is part of a class of an MFC application.
I am
using
visual stuidio .Net 2003. I have compiled the version 3.0.1 of
itk and
linked it in my project. I don't have compilation or execution
problem,
but after closing my MFC application many memory leaks are
detected. I
executed my application in debug mode. The strange thing
is that when i
open some dicom series no memory leaks are generated
whereas in other
cases a number of memory leaks appears. This number
is the same of the
dicom slices i try to open. But using itk 2.4 i
didn't have any
problems!!
My code is reported below:

typedef short
PixelType;
const
unsigned int Dimension = 3;
typedef itk::
Image<PixelType, Dimension>
ImageType;
typedef itk::
ImageSeriesReader<ImageType> SeriesReaderType;

typedef itk::
GDCMImageIO ImageIOType;
typedef itk::DICOMSeriesFileNames
DicomNamesGeneratorType;

SeriesReaderType::Pointer itkReader =
SeriesReaderType::New();
ImageIOType::Pointer itkDicomIO =
ImageIOType::New();

DicomNamesGeneratorType::Pointer seriesSort =
DicomNamesGeneratorType::New();
seriesSort-
>SetFileNameSortingOrderToSortByImageNumber();
seriesSort-
>SetDirectory
(dicomDirectory);

if (seriesSort->GetFileNames().size())
{

itkReader->SetFileNames(seriesSort->GetFileNames());
itkReader-
>SetImageIO(itkDicomIO);

try {
itkReader-
>UpdateLargestPossibleRegion();
}
catch (itk::ExceptionObject) {

return false;
}
}

I have tried to use GDCMSeriesFileNames instead
of DICOMSeriesFileNames but the result is the same. If i use
DICOMImageIO2 no memory leaks are generated but the header dicom is
not
fully read (only a part of it can be accessed by using members of
this
class).
If i call updateoutputinformation instead of
UpdateLargestPossibleRegion the number of memory leack gets lower.
Can
someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Massimo