[Insight-users] Fw: ImageType::ImageDimension MRI Bias Correction

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Mar 27 09:20:32 EST 2007

Hi Xavier,

You probably already read the papers that describe this method:

http://public.kitware.com/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MRIBiasFieldCorrectionFilter.html

"Parametric estimate of intensity inhomogeneities applied to MRI"
Martin Styner, Guido Gerig, Christian Brechbuehler, Gabor Szekely,
IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MEDICAL IMAGING; 19(3), pp. 153-165, 2000,

(http://www.cs.unc.edu/~styner/docs/tmi00.pdf<http://www.cs.unc.edu/%7Estyner/docs/tmi00.pdf>
)

"Evaluation of 2D/3D bias correction with 1+1ES-optimization"

Martin Styner, Prof. Dr. G. Gerig (IKT, BIWI, ETH Zuerich), TR-197

(http://www.cs.unc.edu/~styner/docs/StynerTR97.pdf<http://www.cs.unc.edu/%7Estyner/docs/StynerTR97.pdf>)

As you have seen from the papers, the method combines a segmentation
process with a bias field correction process.

That lead to several questions:

1) Is the MRI image that you are segmenting, an image of the Brain ?
    if not, you must rethink the number of classes, initial means and
   sigmas that will correspond to the Gaussian mixture model of the
   tissues present in your image.

2) Have you manually evaluated the mean intensity values of the
    tissues present in your image ?

   Have you compared those values to the means of the Gaussian
   distributions that this method is fitting to the histogram ?