[Insight-users] Object map Analyze file format (.obj)

Hans Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Fri Mar 30 08:34:35 EST 2007

Elena,

There is a group at The University of Iowa that is also interested in
developing image readers for the Analyze7.5 object maps.  It should be noted
that the proposal is to develop a new image file format reader in ITK that
is separate from the existing Analyze7.5 image file reader.  If you wanted
to load both an Analyze75 image and it's object map, I would expect that you
would have to read in the ".img" file with the existing Analyze75 image
reader mechanism, and the ".obj" file with the proposed file reader (both
readers would depend on the same ".hdr" file).

You may want to contact "Imran A. Pirwani" <pirwani at cs.uiowa.edu> for
details on the work that he has already completed.

Regards,
Hans

=====================
Hans,

I am still learning the ropes with Slicer/ITK etc.  However, I think that
I know where the new files need to go; they'll go in Insight/Code/IO/
having the following 4 files:
itkRunLengthEncodedImageIO.cxx, itkRunLengthEncodedImageIO.h
itkRunLengthEncodedImageIOFactory.cxx, itkRunLengthEncodedImageFactoryIO.h

I heard that only recently Analyze changed the way they encode objectmaps
and it seems that the format is not public (at least thus far). I'll look
into it a little more and talk to Gary but the fact remains that we have
object maps that are RLE format from before.

At the moment, I am trying to gauge how well KWWidgets supports the NIREP
vision.  I am quite pleased with my evaluation thus far with regard to
the functionality that we need.  It is also nice that the Slicer framework
supports modules that people can write on their own that plug in
seamlessly with the framework.

Thanks,

-Imran.