[Insight-users] Huge performance of time delay on BinaryDilateImageFilter

Alireza Salamy alireza_sal2000 at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 05:22:21 EDT 2007

Dear Gaetan,
  For erosion it takes around 93 second but for dilation it takes around 45 minute.but  I have two question here:the first is if the  binaryopening by reconstruction filter do exactly the same as erosion follow by dilation?
  The second question which is very important to me is why your Binary opening by reconstruction filter doesn't work well when I add subtract image filter to the end of algorithm to subtract the image before opening and the image after opening?(I mean I can build it successfully but when I try to implement it it do the opening but when it reach the subtract filter it stop.)my input image is 3D volum image
  I add the following line to the end of binary opening by reconstruction image filater.

  typedef itk::SubtractImageFilter<
                                  IType,
                                  IType,
                                  IType > DifferenceFilterType;
  DifferenceFilterType::Pointer difference = DifferenceFilterType::New();
    difference->SetInput1( reader->GetOutput() );
  difference->SetInput2( reconstruction->GetOutput() );

  WriterType::Pointer writer2 = WriterType::New();
  writer2->SetInput( difference->GetOutput() );
  writer2->SetFileName( argv[7] );
  writer2->Update();
  please let me know how can I solve this problem because it is very important for me.
  thanks in advance
   Alireza

Gaëtan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr> wrote:

Hi Alireza,

Because of the algorithm used in those filters, it is possible to
have a different execution time. However, the difference are
generally small.
Can you give more detail about what you call "quick" and "very long
time"?

Thanks,

Gaëtan

Le 3 mai 07 à 16:03, Alireza Salamy a écrit :

> Hi all users,
> I am trying to do dilatation by BinaryDilateImageFilterTest on the
> image which is the output of the BinaryErodeImageFilterTest.the
> first filter( BinaryErodeImageFilterTest) works very quick but when
> I try to implement the second filter(BinaryDilateImageFilterTest)
> it takes very long time.in both filter I chose the radius=5.can
> somebody let me know what is wrong with that?

> Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66 fax: 01 34 65 29 09
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr