[Insight-users] Extract an oblique 2D slice from a 3D volume

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue May 8 08:39:34 EDT 2007

Hi Steve,

Your interpretation is correct:

The ResampleImageFilter computes the value of the point in the plane
of the slice. However, this computation is done by using an image
interpolator. It is up to you to select the specific interpolator
to be used by the ResampleImageFilter.

However, at this point there are no interpolators in ITK that will
explicitly compute the equivalent of a "thick slice".

The closer you can get is by using a BSpline interpolator, and in
that case the PSF corresponding to the "thickness" of the slice
will be the Kernel of the BSpline. In practice, that is probably
close enough to the PSF of a scanner (depending on the image
modality that you are dealing with...)

           What image modality are you using ?

Note that you can also simulate the effect by convolving the image
with the PSF function corresponding to the slice thickness, before
you pass the image to the resample image filter. This may be more
time consuming though...

The most efficient way to do this would be to incorporate the PSF
function of your scanner into the image interpolator.