[Insight-users] Extract an oblique 2D slice from a 3D volume

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Tue May 8 11:40:32 EDT 2007

Hi Luis,

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:39:34AM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> However, at this point there are no interpolators in ITK that will
> explicitly compute the equivalent of a "thick slice".
>
> The closer you can get is by using a BSpline interpolator, and in
> that case the PSF corresponding to the "thickness" of the slice
> will be the Kernel of the BSpline.

Oh, thanks; I didn't know about that interpolator.

I think there's something weird with your doxygen pages.  Have a look
at

  http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BSplineInterpolateImageFunction.html

This shows inheritance from InterpolateImageFunction, but if you click
the red superclass box, you arrive at

  http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1InterpolateImageFunction.html

which doesn't show BSpline interpolator as a subclass!  I missed
the existence of the BSpline interpolator because I started on
the InterpolateImageFunction page ...

> In practice, that is probably
> close enough to the PSF of a scanner (depending on the image
> modality that you are dealing with...)
>

>           What image modality are you using ?

I'm dealing with MR and CT.

I think I'll need to go back and read some image processing theory
about the PSF.  If you know of any references regarding creating
a thick, oblique slice from a volume of thinner slices, do let me
know.

Thanks,
-Steve