[Insight-users] Regularization of deformable registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 9 16:27:32 EST 2007

Hi Matthias,

Using the Jacobian of the BSplineDeformable transform sounds reasonable,
be careful not to confuse the GetJacobian() method in the transform
classes with the Jacobian that you need.

The Jacobian computed in the Transforms is the jacobian of
point coordinates with respect to the parameters of the transform.

The Jacobian that you need is the one of the output point coordinates
with respect to the input point coordinates. This is the jacobian
computed in the itkDeformationFieldJacobianDeterminantFilter.

Feeding a penalty based on the Jacobian, into the cost of the metric,
is fine *in theory*,...
but it is not straight forward in practice.

You may have to create your own Image metric, and in the GetValue()
method include a penalty value based on the average value of the
Jacobian determinant, or in the standard deviation of that determinant.

However,

Before you engage in this, I will strongly suggest you to write to the
authors of the paper and request their source code. They may also be
willing to contribute their source code as a technical submission to
the Insight Journal.

If *reproducibility* had any value in the Journals of our field, you
shouldn't have to waste time in reverse-engineering the content of
a published paper.