[Insight-users] Dicom Series Read Series Write: change in intensity values

"Eliana M. Vásquez Osorio" e.vasquezosorio at erasmusmc.nl
Tue Nov 20 12:13:43 EST 2007

Hello itk-users,
I have a problem when writing (?) images series.  The intensity values
change.
This is what I did:
- Read a series of dicom image into a volume
- Write the volume out as another series of dicom files in a different
folder.
Since I do nothing in between (no filter is applied), I expected to get
the same images after the writing process, but I found differences in
the intensity values between the images.

My input images use 12 bits for storing image info. (Bits Stored=12,
0028|0101 dicom tag).  The written image uses 16 bits.  I imagine that
the intensity changes are related to this... but I don't get a clear
idea how/why this changes the image that is produced.  Looking closely
to the data, I found an offset of 1000 in the written images (compared
to the original images).  Should I apply a filter to "correct" the 12
bit to a 16 bit?  if so, which filter?  a casting filter?

Any idea or suggestion is welcome! :)
Thanks, Eliana