[Insight-users] FW: FloodFilledFunctionConditionalConstIterator neighborhood

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Nov 25 11:46:22 EST 2007

Hi Hauke,

It is great to hear that you have already made the changes.

The procedure for contribute new classes to ITK requires
that they be submitted to the Insight Journal:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Procedure_for_Contributing_New_Classes_and_Algorithms

Note that papers to the Insight Journal *are not typical papers*.
Instead, they follow the format of a technical report. Your paper
may be as short as two pages, as long as it describes how to use
the new class.

What is fundamental is that you post it with an example (or test)
on how to use the class, so that it use can be verified by reviewers
and by readers.

The purpose of the Insight Journal is to *verify reproducibility*.

Once your paper has been reviewed by the community, the code will
be moved into the Insight/Code/Review directory, where it will
be verified for coding style and correctness.

Note for example, that it is a matter of concern, the fact that
you have not verified the correctness of the output, and that
there is not a profiling indicating how the computation time
of the iterator has been affected by the change. Adding features
and functionalities is always a nice thing to do, but in the context
of a toolkit, we should be careful with the implications of the
changes.

All of this is necessary due to the backward compatibility policy
of ITK, that states that once a class has been included with a
release, its API must be maintained *forever*.  As a consequence,
we must review very well all code contributions before they made
their way into the toolkit.

It will be great if you could submit your code as a new class
to the Insight Journal.

   Please let us know if you have any questions,