[Insight-users] image marching cubes

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Nov 25 15:46:58 EST 2007

Hi Prashanth,

0) Marching cube *is not a segmentation method*. It is a iso-surface
    extraction method. Before using marching cubes, you must first
    run a segmentation method on your data.

1) No, you cannot extract the surface of the skull and the surface
    of the brain from an MRI image with a single iso-surface with
    marching cubes.

2) In order to get familiar with what you can and cannot do with
    iso-surface extraction alone, you may want to play with ParaView
     www.paraview.org, by loading your image in, and running the
     "Contour" filter on it.

3) ITK offers a variety of segmentation methods. You will find many
    of them described in the ITK Software Guide:

      http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

    You may want to start by trying the region growing methods, and
    then follow with the level set methods.

4) For brain segmentation you may want to try the EM Segmenter in
    Slicer. www.slicer.org

    http://wiki.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/Slicer3:EM
    This module is based on a combination of ITK and VTK methods.

5) You may also want to try the Brains II application from the
    University of Iowa:
    http://www.psychiatry.uiowa.edu/mhcrc/pdf/brains/LabManual.pdf