[Insight-users] convergence of curvature registration

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Sun Nov 25 21:29:25 EST 2007

Hi Ruben:

In my opinion, the crucial difference between using an initial
deformation field and a pre-resampled floating image is the boundary
condition of the deformation. Without much theoretical insight I only
implemented the algorithm based on Fischer & Modersitzki's papers
(should be referenced in the source code), so I may be off here, but I
think the problem is that while, locally, affine transformations are
indeed in not penalized by the curvature smoother, they do violate the
imposed boundary condition (periodic, as far as I recall). Because the
update step is computed in a global operation using FFT, that may
explain why the entire deformation field gets messed up.

Hope this helps.

Best,
  Torsten

Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025
  Phone: ++1 (650) 859-3379      Fax: ++1 (650) 859-2743
   torsten at synapse.sri.com        http://www.stanford.edu/~rohlfing/

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"