[Insight-users] Selecting the sigma for the vesselness

rashedk rashed.vtk at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 25 17:45:30 EDT 2007

Hi Chris,

Doesn't Manniseng's VED filter *enhance* the vessels rather than detecting
them? It does do multi-scale analysis, but goes one step further by applying
the appropriate diffusion (iso- or aniso-) process. So the output of the VED
filter should be the same image with the vessels enhanced and not the
vesselness. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

What I also don't understand is why Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter
does not implement a multiscale approach? If it is Frangi's vesselness which
is implemented here, then his paper did suggest returning the highest
response by varying the sigma.

Regards,
Rashed