[Insight-users] metal Scatter artifiact

Nipun Patel nipunpatel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 15:11:12 EDT 2007

We are trying to determine the best way to reduce the metal artifacts in CT
Data acquired using GE/TOSHIBA scanner.

Based on the literature there are two approaches either post processing or
processing during the reconstruction. We can only do the post processing of
data at this stage.

I have already tried with Mean Filter and Gaussian Smoothing filter however
the streaking artifacts are spread over a wide region and this ends up
blurring the image.

Would you have any suggestions?

The ROI is lung tissue of a rabbit and the intensity values are required for
quantification. We are looking for intensity values close to air however,
due to the scatter effects we are not clear about the correct value.