[Insight-users] OPEN ACCESS: NIH POLICY EFFECTIVE : Monday April 7 2008

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Wed Apr 9 13:00:53 EDT 2008

Hi Luis --

Frankly, I would interpret this as:

  "We don't know what we are talking about, but since it is *you* who
has to comply with the policy, it's your problem, not ours, to figure it
out."

Basically, they have not answered the question at all, and I doubt they
actually understood what was being asked. Not exactly encouraging,
although I guess by continuing to refer to "journal articles" they are
providing a very convenient loophole for authors of conference papers.

I am not even going to try and raise the issue now of whether or not a
conference article is considered peer-reviewed if the review is based on
a shorter form of the paper (e.g., for SPIE Medical Imaging).

Thanks for trying though.
  Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"